Need a Tooth Extraction? Don’t Be Afraid!
We’ve all had a toothache at some point at some point or another. While you should always consult your Portales dentist, it’s not always a serious problem. Often, the issue can be fixed with a filling or a root canal. However, many Portales residents have found themselves in a situation where the tooth is not salvageable, and the only solution is for Dr. Thompson to perform an extraction, or remove the tooth. Today, Dr. Thompson at Peter Thompson, DDS would like to talk about what you can expect from an extraction and why it’s not something to fear!
Pulling Teeth isn’t like “Pulling Teeth” Anymore
Just like root canals, tooth extractions have a pretty bad reputation. Many Portales folks may refer to something difficult by saying it was, “like pulling teeth.” However, Dr. Thompson will be the first one to tell you that the technology and techniques of modern dentistry have made the process of extracting a tooth fairly simple and with minimal discomfort to the patients. As long as you take it easy after the procedure and follow the guidelines, you’ll be back to normal in a just a few days.
Reasons for an Extraction
Preserving your natural teeth is always a priority at Peter Thompson, DDS, but in some cases an extraction is unavoidable. Here are some of the conditions in which an extraction might be necessary:
- Infection: If one of your teeth has an infection that extends to the pulp and could not be cleared up with a root canal and antibiotics, removing the tooth might be the only way to keep the infection from spreading. An extraction may also be required if the threat of a serious infection cannot be otherwise dealt with.
- Gum Disease: Infections stemming from gum disease weaken the support structures for teeth. Advanced gum disease can cause teeth to become so loose that extraction is the only safe option.
- Crowding: sometimes the arrangement of teeth does not perfectly fit the size or shape of the mouth. Severe cases, such as a tooth’s inability to erupt due to crowding, may require extraction. Pulling a tooth might also be necessary to prepare for an orthodontic appliance.
If you think you might need to have a tooth removed or would like to learn more about extractions, feel free to give Dr. Thompson at Peter Thompson, DDS a call today at 575.268.0007.
Dr. Thompson’s Associations
- Las Vegas Institute for Advanced Dental Studies Graduate
- Fellow of the Misch International Implant Institute
- Fellow of Academy of General Dentistry
- Fellow of the Dental Organization of Conscious Sedation
- Fellow of the International Congress of Oral Implantologist
- See all of Dr. Thompson's associations
Monday10:00am - 5:00pm
Tuesday8:00am - 3:00pm
Wednesday8:00am - 3:00pm
Thursday8:00am - 3:00pm
FridayBusiness Office Only 8:00am - 12:00pm